Justinuskirche or St. Justin’s Church is the oldest building in Frankfurt. The church dates back to the Carolingian era and was first consecrated in 850. The three-naved church was modified during the fifteenth century, although it still retains much of its original design. The choir however was completely rebuilt in a late Gothic style. The bombastic altar was created in the eighteenth century in the then popular Baroque style. http://www.aviewoncities.com/frankfurt/hochst.htmThe white painted watchtower of the Höchster Schloß towers over the old town. Originally built in the fourteenth century, work on the castle continued during the following centuries and at the end of the sixteenth century it was expanded with a new structure in Renaissance style, the Neue Schloß (new castle). In 1908 the dilapidated complex was acquired by the local industrial magnate Adolf von Brüning, who opened the castle’s park to the public. Since 2002, the complex is owned by the German Foundation for Monument Protection. http://www.aviewoncities.com/frankfurt/hochst.htm
The original Goethe–Schiller Monument (German: Goethe-Schiller-Denkmal). It incorporates Ernst Rietschel‘s 1857 bronze double statue of Johann Wolfgang Goethe (1749–1832) and Friedrich Schiller (1759–1805), who are probably the two most revered figures in German literature. The monument has been described “as one of the most famous and most beloved monuments in all of Germany” and as the beginning of a “cult of the monument”. (Wiki)
Großer Geist. “Great Spirit.” Thomas Schütte.Herakut. The church of Ss Peter and Paul is also known as Herderkirche (Herder Church) after Johann Gottfried Herder. It is the most important church building of the town, and is called Stadtkirche (town church), opposed to the courtly Schloßkirche (court chapel). It has been the church of a Lutheran parish since 1525, after the Reformation. The church is part of the World Heritage SiteClassical Weimar. (Wiki)
The Elbe River meanders through Dresden.Dresden Frauenkirche. Built in the 18th century, the church was destroyed in the bombing of Dresden during World War II. The remaining ruins were left for 50 years as a war memorial, following decisions of local East German leaders. The church was rebuilt after the reunification of Germany, starting in 1994. (Wiki)
Knocked down Martin Luther statue in front of the rubble of the destroyed church. 1945. Photographer unknown.Stormy Waves 🌊 fountain by Robert Dietz in 1894.
A stencil of the iconic image of Gene Kelly singin’ in the rain (“I’m happy again!”) has even here since the spring of 2014.
Entitled ‘Judah,’ this large mural by Pil Peled – one of Israel’s most famous street artists – was created in July 2013 as part of the Jewish Culture Festival. According to the artist, the image of the child represents fear, vulnerability and the inner child, and the lion represents the Jews’ struggle to survive and preserve their culture, as well as the strength to overcome their fears. https://www.inyourpocket.com/krakow/judah_120346v
Created by the artist Broken Fingaz, this large-scale mural was created during the 2014 edition of Kraków’s Jewish Culture Festival. The mural takes inspiration from well-known art nouveau era artist Maurice Lilien – a native of Drohobycz (now in Ukraine) and graduate of the Kraków Academy of Fine Arts – and is dedicated to the memory of the Bosaków family who built the building and lived there through the generations for 400 years, before relocating to Israel after World War II. https://www.inyourpocket.com/krakow/plac-bawol-3_136577v
This mural by Piotr Janowczyk was installed outside Pub Wręga in autumn of 2015 as part of the Kazimierz Historical Murals (Kazimierskie murale historyczne) project. Featuring five portraits of Polish historical figures – namely, (from left to right) Emperor Józef Hapsburg II, Helena Rubinstein (born in the district), Karol Knaus (local architect, artist and conservator), Esterka (the lover of King Kazimierz the Great), and finally King Kazimierz the Great himself. https://www.inyourpocket.com/krakow/kazimierz-historical-mural_140658v
I visited the villages of Narizhzhya (population 300) and Novyi Kalkaiv (population 30) (about a 4 hour car ride from Kyiv) this past weekend and it was humbling to see how villagers live. We were welcomed with food, beds, and warm smiles.
Baba Jan is currently serving a lifetime prison sentence after being convicted by an anti-terrorism court of participating in a protest against killing of a disaster-affected man and his son by police on August 11, 2011 at Aliabad Hunza.
Street art and graffiti are illegal here, so, rarely will you see non-commissioned art on public wall space. Interestingly enough, sometimes when you do, you see that someone is channeling their inner Banksy …