The Clermont Motor Hotel was built in 1924 and was originally an apartment building after its construction, but was later renovated to a hotel format. Hearsay has it that Al Capone leased the entire top floor, with access to the roof when he attempted to muscle in on the racketeering in the Atlanta area, but he soon moved his operations out of the state. An early advertisement for a nightclub in the basement space is dated 1947 and the club was the “Anchorage Club”. Later tenants included the “Gypsy Club” (c. 1951-1954), and “The Continental Room” (1954) before returning to the Anchorage name from about 1956 until 1963, when it was briefly known as the “Atlanta Playboy Club”, an unofficial attempt to capitalize on the popularity of Hugh Hefner‘s magazine. A lawsuit closed the Atlanta Playboy Club. By 1965, the “Jungle Club” opened its doors within the Clermont Hotel. In 1968, the “Clermont Lounge” opened for business and has remained in place ever since. The entire building was sold to new owners in 2003.
In December 2009, the health department ordered the hotel to close for numerous health-code violations, including dirty linen, old bedding, bed bug stains, mold growing on the walls, black water spilling from faucets, and broken toilet fixtures.
Fairway Capital put the property on the market for sale in 2010. Clermont Hotel Partners LLC eventually bought it in January 2013 with the intent to redevelop the property as a boutique hotel.
2JUN13. Atlanta, GA.