The college was founded in 1889 as Decatur Female Seminary by Presbyterian minister Frank H. Gaines. In 1890, the name was changed to Agnes Scott Institute to honor the mother of the college’s primary benefactor, Col. George Washington Scott. The name was changed again to Agnes Scott College in 1906, and remains today a women’s college.
On July 27, 1994, the campus was listed on the National Register of Historic Places as part of the South Candler Street-Agnes Scott College Historic District.
15JUN13. Atlanta, GA.